Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Raw Milk Sales in Iowa

Open Letter to My State Legislature.
I have recently learned that the Iowa bill that would allow consumers to buy raw milk directly from farmers has passed through the House Economic Growth Committee and is now ready for a floor vote. I am writing you to tell you that I am in favor of raw milk sales in Iowa. I feel that informed consumers should have the right to purchase raw milk if they choose to do so. I know that many people will tell you that drinking raw milk is not safe. I also know that if the milk is properly handled, there is no danger in drinking raw milk. All fresh food needs to handled properly. We have come a long way since the early 1900s when milk pasteurization was used to fix unhealthy production and distribution systems. With today’s information, pasteurization is not the only way to produce safe healthy milk. Data from the National Center for Disease Control from 1975 to 2005 indicates extremely low risk on properly handled raw dairy compared to other food products. Iowa is one of only 10 states that does not allow raw milk sales in some form. Thousands of people around the globe consume raw milk safely. I myself grew up in Nebraska where raw milk sales from the farm are legal and grew up drinking raw milk with no problems. It is time that Iowan's are allowed to make this choice for themselves also.
Walt Wickham
Maquoketa, Iowa

1 comment:

  1. Yeah Walt!!! I will be linking to this post on my blog and FB. Well done. Go Iowa Go!

    PS Wally sends his best

    ReplyDelete