Saturday, November 12, 2011

Port-a-huts

I really love craigslist. I check the farm and garden listings for our area almost daily. Over the last couple of years, I've snagged some pretty good deals on used farm equipment through craigslist and have even utilized the site to make a few sales myself. The news media tells us all about the bad things that can happen when using craiglist--scams, rip offs or worse, but I've had nothing but good experiences. Take for example the port-a-huts that I bought yesterday. I saw the ad last Saturday and emailed the seller immediately. After settling on a fair price, I told them I would be there to get all nine that they had for sale.
 

Inspecting some of my newly purchased huts.
 Port-a-huts are small metal huts that are used for pasture pig farrowing and other small animal housing needs. They have the advantage of being relatively light weight (145 lbs according to the manufacturer) and they're very durable. Next spring, we'll put them in the pasture for the pigs to farrow (give birth) in. Today, I put two in the garden so that I could put hogs there to clear the weeds and leftover veggies this winter. The hogs will eat the vegetation and root up the soil making next spring's garden prep work go much quicker and easier for me. My wife and daughter helped add some old hay to the huts for bedding. The pigs will have a warm, dry spot to sleep in while they do their garden clearing duties.

Adding bedding to the huts.


Two huts ready for the pigs.

No comments:

Post a Comment